The best summer produce in Australia
By Kamyra La Fauci, Accredited Practising Dietitian
One of the many perks of living in Australia is the delicious, fresh produce we have access to, particularly in Summer time! There are so many benefits to enjoying local fruit and vegetables in season:
- They taste better and contain more nutrients
- They are more affordable to purchase which help lower your weekly grocery bill
- You are supporting Australian producers and farmers
But with imported produce hitting supermarket shelves all year round, it‘s hard to remember what fruit and vegetables are in season and locally sourced here in Australia.
So, to make things easier check out our guide below so you can choose the best in-season local produce during Summer time in the land down under!
- Berries – blueberries, blackberries, Boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, mulberries
- Melons – honeydew melon, watermelon, cantaloupe
- Stone fruit – Peaches, Nectarines, Plums and Apricots
- Beans (snake, green, butter and flat)
- Snow peas
Note: This is a general guide. Availability of produce may change depending on where you live in Australia. Also, keep an eye out for labels which state the country of origin. This will help you identify where the produce was grown.