The best summer produce in Australia
By Kamyra La Fauci, Accredited Practising Dietitian
One of the many perks of living in Australia is the delicious, fresh produce we have access to, particularly in Summer time! There are so many benefits to enjoying local fruit and vegetables in season:
- They taste better and contain more nutrients
- They are more affordable to purchase which help lower your weekly grocery bill
- You are supporting Australian producers and farmers
But with imported produce hitting supermarket shelves all year round, it‘s hard to remember what fruit and vegetables are in season and locally sourced here in Australia.
So, to make things easier check out our guide below so you can choose the best in-season local produce during Summer time in the land down under!
- Berries – blueberries, blackberries, Boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, mulberries
- Melons – honeydew melon, watermelon, cantaloupe
- Stone fruit – Peaches, Nectarines, Plums and Apricots
- Beans (snake, green, butter and flat)
- Snow peas
Note: This is a general guide. Availability of produce may change depending on where you live in Australia. Also, keep an eye out for labels which state the country of origin. This will help you identify where the produce was grown.
By David Hawkins, Exercise Specialist and Physiotherapist What is DOMS? DOMS is the pain and stiffness you may experience after performing an exercise or intensity of exercise you are unaccustomed to. DOMS may also be [...]
By Christina Ross - Accredited Practising Dietitian We’ve all experienced moments of mindlessness when it comes to our eating. When distracted, bored or feeling particular emotions, we can eat without paying attention. Later we realise we’ve overeaten [...]
By Aseel Abdin - Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) Have your eating behaviours changed after COVID-19? Are you nibbling more when working from home? Have you skipped some, or most of your workouts? [...]